New Mother’s Group August 2020
Sign up to the August 2020 New Mothers' Group
New Mothers Group starting 18th August 2020
Since 2017, Compass Psychology has run a mother’s group for foreign and English speaking women in the Helsinki region who have become first time mothers. We understand that being a new mother is exciting, but it can also be daunting and lonely especially if Finland is your home away from home. The aim of this group is to provide you with practical advice for yourself and your newborn baby, as well as a social support system for you in Helsinki.
In our four week program we offer:
- Post natal yoga & recovery from birth, using exercises that you can do with your baby, led by a qualified Birthlight yoga teacher
- Information on social services in Finland, where to get help for you or your baby, useful contacts and resources in English
- Answers to all your breastfeeding questions from a lactaction advisor and a chiropractor.
- A chance to talk about your birth, changes in your life and relationships after the birth and the emotional difficulties of having a baby when you are far away from home, friends and relatives, supervised by a qualified psychologist at all times.
The New Mothers’ Group is your chance to talk to other mothers about the highs and the lows of new parenthood in a relaxed and welcoming setting. At the same time you will also learn more about your recovery from the birth, feeding, sleeping, post natal mental health and other topics from a variety of professionals. Most importantly, you’ll meet other mothers going through what you’re experiencing, and start friendships that could last a lifetime.
The next group is starting on Tuesday the 18th August 2020 for 4 weeks. This group is for first-time mothers of babies born in April, May, June and July 2020. If you are interested in attending the group, please sign up using the link above.
- Please note that the group is intended for babies of the same age and you are only eligible to join one you group based on the age of your baby. The next group will be in August 2020 for babies born between April 2020 and July 2020.
- The group is for 4 weeks and you should commit to your best ability to attending all the sessions.
- The group is intended for non-Finnish speaking women who are immigrants or expatriates in Finland for whom it is difficult to access Finnish-language services. This group is run as a not-for-profit community service by Compass Psychology to the English-speaking, international community in the Helsinki region.
- If you have any concerns about attending the group – such as worrying about how to transport yourself and your baby to the group; concerns that the group is intended only for “women who love motherhood”; or any other concerns that may prevent you from attending, PLEASE CALL us to discuss these matters (0449445723). From experience we find the women who benefit the most from the group are the ones who such concerns; such as struggling with motherhood and caring for the baby, a long distance to travel, experiencing social isolation or feeling judged. We aim to make this a safe, non-judgmental space for all types of mothers and highly encourage you to attend if possible. For many of the women who attend it is the first time they have left the house with their newborn baby and we are happy to discuss how to do this if you need advice. Please call Jane on 044 944 5723 for further information.
The group is for first time mothers of newborn babies who are around the same age (e.g. 1 to 4 months of age). The group will be run in English and will be for a maximum of 10 mothers.
It is held in at our office in Pohjoinen Hesperiankatu 3B9 once a week for 4 weeks in the morning. The location will offer a safe and comfortable space where you can relax, and easily feed and change your baby. After this we will facilitate the group continuing to meet socially in their own time.
The next group is starting in August 2020 for 4 weeks. This group is for mothers of babies born in April, May, June and July 2020.
Each week a different professional will come to speak to you. In 2020 the professionals speaking will be: a chiropractor specialising in mother and baby health (Samantha Leckie); a pre- and post-natal yoga teacher, Nicola Moberg from Purna Yoga; and a doula/lactation/breastfeeding advisor, Veera Gindonis from Doulakka; as well as either Jane or Annabel, clinical psychologists at Compass Psychology
Where: Pohjoinen Hesperiankatu 3b9, Töölö, Helsinki
When: Tuesdays 18th and 25th August and 1st and 8th September 2020
Time: 9:45am to 11:30am (doors to the office open at 9:30am)
What to bring: please bring comfortable clothes for the yoga session; a baby bag with nappies, spare change of clothes for your baby; anything else you might need, such as toys for your baby or blankets. We will provide changing equipment and wipes, tea and coffee, cake and biscuits, and cloths and a space for you to breastfeed your baby.
The group is NOT run for profit but will include a charge of 15€ per session to cover tea, coffee, refreshments, resources and use of the venue.
If you are interested in attending the group, please sign up here or by using the link at the top of the page.
If you have any further questions about the group please contact Jane: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicola Moberg, of Purna Yoga, teaching mothers about post natal recovery
New Mothers' Group one year celebration picnic in August 2018
Here are some of the mothers and babies who attended our New Mothers’ Group in 2018 at a picnic we organised in August 2018 to celebrate one year of successfully running the New Mothers’ Group. We aim to hold this picnic annually for all mothers of from the previous year’s mothers’ groups.
Veera from Doulakka speaking to the mothers about breastfeeding. She is holding a doll baby which she uses to demonstrate breastfeeding techniques and positions.