New Mother’s Group May 2020
Sign up to the May 2020 New Mothers' Group
New Mothers Group starting 12th May 2020 – this time it’s a virtual group!
Since 2017, Compass Psychology has run a mother’s group for foreign and English speaking women in the Helsinki region who have become first time mothers. We understand that being a new mother is exciting, but it can also be daunting and lonely especially if Finland is your home away from home. The aim of this group is to provide you with practical advice for yourself and your newborn baby, as well as a social support system for you in Helsinki.
Due to the corona virus pandemic, for this group we will be holding all meetings online. We will be using the same format as we use for the normal face to face groups to help you both continue to get the advice from professionals and more importantly get to know some other mums. This is a time where social support has never been more important – with all of us having to self-isolate at home. We hope it won’t be long before you are all able to meet up in person. So come and join us!
In our four week program we offer:
- Post natal yoga & recovery from birth, using exercises that you can do with your baby, led by a qualified Birthlight yoga teacher
- Information on social services in Finland, where to get help for you or your baby, useful contacts and resources in English
- Answers to all your breastfeeding questions from a lactaction advisor and a chiropractor.
- A chance to talk about your birth, changes in your life and relationships after the birth and the emotional difficulties of having a baby when you are far away from home, friends and relatives, supervised by a qualified psychologist at all times.
The New Mothers’ Group is your chance to talk to other mothers about the highs and the lows of new parenthood. At the same time you will also learn more about your recovery from the birth, feeding, sleeping, post natal mental health and other topics from a variety of professionals. Most importantly, you’ll meet other mothers going through what you’re experiencing, and start friendships that could last a lifetime.
The next group is starting on Tuesday the 12th May 2020 for 4 weeks. This group is for first-time mothers of babies born in January, February, March and April 2020. If you are interested in attending the group, please sign up using the link above.
- Please note that the group is intended for babies of the same age and you are only eligible to join one group based on the age of your baby. The next group will be in August 2020 for babies born between April 2020 and July 2020.
- The group is for 4 weeks and you should commit to your best ability to attending all the sessions.
- The group is intended for non-Finnish speaking women who are immigrants or expatriates in Finland for whom it is difficult to access Finnish-language services. This group is run as a not-for-profit community service by Compass Psychology to the English-speaking, international community in the Helsinki region.
- If you have any concerns about attending the group – such as worrying about how to use the technology; concerns that the group is intended only for “women who love motherhood”; or any other concerns that may prevent you from attending, PLEASE CALL us to discuss these matters (call Jane on 0449445723). From experience we find the women who benefit the most from the group are the ones who have such concerns; such as struggling with motherhood and caring for the baby, experiencing social isolation or feeling judged. We aim to make this a safe, non-judgmental space for all types of mothers and highly encourage you to attend if possible. Please call Jane on 0449445723 for further information.
The group is for first time mothers of newborn babies who are around the same age (e.g. 1 to 4 months of age). The group will be run in English and will be for a maximum of 10 mothers.
It will be held online using a platform called Zoom, once a week for 4 weeks in the morning. The location will offer a safe and comfortable space where you can relax, and easily feed and change your baby. After this we will facilitate the group continuing to meet socially in their own time.
The next group is starting in May 2020 for 4 weeks. This group is for mothers of babies born in January, February, March and April 2020.
Each week a different professional will come to speak to you. In 2020 the professionals speaking will be: a chiropractor specialising in mother and baby health (Samantha Leckie); a pre- and post-natal yoga teacher, Nicola Moberg from Purna Yoga; and a doula/lactation/breastfeeding advisor, Veera Gindonis from Doulakka; as well as either Jane or Annabel, clinical psychologists at Compass Psychology
Where: Online, using Zoom.
When: Tuesdays 12th, 19th, 26th May and 2nd June 2020
Time: 9:45am to 11:30am
We will send detailed instructions of how to log in to the meetings the week before the group. The software is free (see www.zoom.us or download the free Zoom app on your phone). It is very easy to use and we are happy to give plenty of help re how to use the platform and make the most of the group.
The group is NOT run for profit but will include a charge of 5€ per session to cover administration fees and resources.
If you are interested in attending the group, please sign up here or by using the link at the top of the page.
If you have any further questions about the group please contact Jane: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicola Moberg, of Purna Yoga, teaching mothers about post natal recovery
New Mothers' Group one year celebration picnic in August 2018
Here are some of the mothers and babies who attended our New Mothers’ Group in 2018 at a picnic we organised in August 2018 to celebrate one year of successfully running the New Mothers’ Group. We aim to hold this picnic annually for all mothers of from the previous year’s mothers’ groups.
Veera from Doulakka speaking to the mothers about breastfeeding. She is holding a doll baby which she uses to demonstrate breastfeeding techniques and positions.