New Mother’s Group November 2023
Sign up to the November 2023 New Mothers' Group
New Mothers Group starting 14th November 2023
Since 2017, Compass Psychology has run a mother’s group 4 times a year for foreign and English speaking women in the Helsinki region who have become first time mothers. We understand that being a new mother is exciting, but it can also be daunting and lonely especially if Finland is your home away from home. The aim of this group is to provide you with practical advice for yourself and your newborn baby, as well as a social support system for you in Helsinki.
In our four week program we offer:
- Post natal yoga & recovery from birth, using exercises that you can do with your baby, led by a qualified Birthlight yoga teacher in a yoga studio (Purna Yoga)
- Information on social services in Finland, where to get help for you or your baby, useful contacts and resources in English
- Answers to all your breastfeeding questions from a lactaction advisor
- A chance to talk about your birth, changes in your life and relationships after the birth and the emotional difficulties of having a baby when you are far away from home, friends and relatives with a psychologist
The New Mothers’ Group is your chance to talk to other mothers about the highs and the lows of new parenthood in a relaxed and welcoming setting. At the same time you will also learn more about your recovery from the birth, feeding, sleeping, post natal mental health and other topics from a variety of professionals. Most importantly, you’ll meet other mothers going through what you’re experiencing, and start friendships that could last a lifetime.
The next group is starting in mid November for 4 weeks. We run the group every 3 months in February, May, August and November of each year for all the babies born in the previous 3 to 4 months. Sign ups for the group open approximately 2 to 3 months before the group starts. If you want to sign up in advance for a group, you can email us directly to ask to be put on the waiting list.
The format will be meetings in person in our premises in Töölö.
This group is for first-time mothers of babies born in July, August, September and October 2023. If you are interested in attending the group, please sign up using the link above.
The practical details for the group are listed below:
Dates: 14th, 21st, 28th November and 5th December 2023
Venue: Pohjoinen Hesperiankatu 3B9, Töölö, 00260 Helsinki
(press B9 “Compass Centre” and we will open the door. Leave your pram in the entranceway and come up to the door to the left behind the lift)
For: First time mothers of babies born in July – October 2023 who speak English
Please note the yoga session in Week 2 will take place in a different venue and possibly a different time on 21st November.
- Please note that the group is intended for babies of the same age and you are only eligible to join one you group based on the age of your baby.
- The group is for 4 weeks and you should commit to your best ability to attending all 4 sessions. Places are limited so please let us know as soon as possible if you cannot attend the 4 sessions after all so that we can offer your place to the next mother on the waiting list.
- The group is intended for non-Finnish speaking women who are immigrants or expatriates in Finland for whom it is difficult to access Finnish-language services. This group is run as a not-for-profit community service by Compass Psychology to the English-speaking, international community in the Helsinki region.
- If you have any concerns about attending the group – such as worrying about how to transport yourself and your baby to the group; concerns that the group is intended only for “women who love motherhood”; or any other concerns that may prevent you from attending, PLEASE CALL us to discuss these matters (0449445717). From experience we find the women who benefit the most from the group are the ones who such concerns; such as struggling with motherhood and caring for the baby, a long distance to travel, experiencing social isolation or feeling judged. We aim to make this a safe, non-judgmental space for all types of mothers and highly encourage you to attend if possible. For many of the women who attend it is the first time they have left the house with their newborn baby and we are happy to discuss how to do this if you need advice. Please call Annabel on 044 944 5717 for further information.
The group is NOT run for profit but will include a charge of 22€ per session to cover tea, coffee, refreshments, resources and use of the venue.
If you are interested in attending the group, please sign up by using the link at the top of the page.
If you have any further questions about the group please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicola Moberg, of Purna Yoga, teaching mothers about post natal recovery
Great support for expat new moms to build the support systemt they might be lacking in Finland
I recommend this group wholeheartedly to all international mothers. I love the sense of community.
New Mothers' Group one year celebration picnic in August 2018
Here are some of the mothers and babies who attended our New Mothers’ Group in 2018 at a picnic we organised in August 2018 to celebrate one year of successfully running the New Mothers’ Group. We aim to hold this picnic annually for all mothers of from the previous year’s mothers’ groups.
Here is the May 2020 New Mothers’ Group meeting up for the annual picnic. This group went through the program virtually in an online environment due to the corona lockdown at the time. However this didn’t deter them from setting up their group, and after the 4 week program was over they met nearly every week in person for a catch up for the mums and babies.
Useful information for pregnant women and within the first week of the birth of your baby
Please note, there are many great resources you can access before you give birth and in the important first week afterwards! As we will not be meeting you and your baby for many weeks, it may be helpful to access these services earlier on.
For birth: We recommend The Nest Doulas Collective and the services of Katilötalo. A doula is a trained birth support person, and this can be very helpful and calming for your during birth, especially if you cannot have your normal family or friends around for support.
For breastfeeding in the first weeks: We recommend Maria Fernandez as a lactation consultant (she can do home visits) of Espoo Yoga Doula. Again, a doula is helpful for lactation consultancy as well and post-birth transition. Danielle of Mothers Transition is a specialist in the 4th trimester period and does in-home visits and support.