Feeling at Home in Finland Workshop
9.30am to 1.30pm, Saturday 30th November 2019
Sign up to this new, one-day intensive workshop to help you establish your best life in Finland!
Held for one day only on Saturday 30th of November, this workshop will offer you inside knowledge on how to establish a thriving and enjoyable life in Finland. Your presenter, Annabel Battersby, MPsych, is a practising psychologist working with expatriates and immigrants in Helsinki who has extensive knowledge of the challenges and pifalls of life in Finland and Finnish culture. Annabel will give you her best tips for establishing a successful and thriving life in Finland based on practical experience, expert psychological knowledge and training in cross cultural psychology.
Included in the price will be access to Finnwards online “Crash Course to Finland”, 2.5 hours of online learning material with everything you need to know about Finland’s nature, history, climate, daily life and more. This is valued at 35.98€ and is included in the overall fee of 167€.
Why sign up for this workshop?
This workshop would be suitable for you if:
- You have recently moved to Finland for a long-term work contract or university degree and you want to master your life in Finland quickly
- You have moved to Finland with a spouse and are surprised at some aspects of Finnish culture and would like to learn more to help you understand it better
- You have migrated to Finland and are establishing a life here and would like to learn more about the country and it’s people to help you live your best life
Date: Saturday 30th November, 2019
Time: 9.30am to 1.30pm
Location: Pohjoinen Hesperiankatu 3B9
Tea, coffee and cake provided, as well as all materials.
We will discuss topics such as learning the Finnish culture and values, as well as language and unspoken social and cultural rules in Finland, so that you can quickly gain insider knowledge of Finnish society.
The workshop will be for 3.5 hours, with 1 break. Tea, coffee and cake will be provided, and you will also receive a pack of printed information and an electronic resource pack.
The workshop cost is 167€ and includes access to 2.5 hours of online material about Finland that you can view prior to the workshop. The online material is offered by the company Finnwards, and is a “Crash Course to Finland” which describes the weather, nature, history, politics, languages and daily life of Finnish people. The website for the course is https://school.finnwards.com/
Topics covered in the workshop will be:
- Cross- cultural awareness and the acculturation model – how can you adapt yourself and your own culture to a life in Finland.
- Finnish culture and knowledge of Finland – pre-workshop material available.
- Values and behaviours in Finnish culture – gain insider knowledge into Finnish values and customs, including unspoken rules and taboo topics in Finland
- Cultural resources – what you can learn from books, cinema and television about Finland, including a booklet from this workshop.
- Language – To Learn or Not to Learn? The question of Finnish language acquisition, and how learning Finnish differs compared to other languages
Facilitators for the workshop are Annabel Battersby (MPsych, BA Hons) and Ting Yee Lim